I love my Acer Aspire One. I originally planned on purchasing one of the new MacBook Pro’s and bought the Aspire One simply to take notes in class. However, I really see no need to blow more money on a full-sized notebook anymore. The only downside to my Aspire is that I got the 110L with the 8GB solid-state hard drive.
I’ve gone through many operating systems on my AAO, and while Ubuntu is definitely my favorite, it’s just not up to where I need it to be. The battery life is only around 2 hours, 3D doesn’t work properly in 8.10, and the wifi would crap out sometimes among other things. The only real option for me is Windows XP and I’ve installed many different versions of that as well, ranging from stock SP3 installs to nLite installs posted elsewhere on the Internet.
Until now, I’ve never really been happy with the end result. A stock XP install was way too bloated and required a lot of work to remove components and tweak services and settings to work well on the AAO’s limited screen and HDD space; yet some of the custom versions I attained had features like Remote Desktop missing which I use frequently to connect to servers on my home network. Anyway, enough with the background story, I finally bit the bullet and created my own custom "Acer Aspire One" version of Windows XP using nLite. I based a lot of my removal of components off a similar guide for the Asus EEE PC here. The install ended up taking up about 600MB (down from 1.2GB) with 18 initial processes running and just under 80MB of page file usage.
Read MoreHow to Create a Custom Windows XP for the Acer Aspire One Using nLite.
A friend of mine really likes his Canon Pixma iP1500 printer. The ink is very cheap when bought from certain places (*cough* China *cough*); unfortunately though, the printer has been discontinued for some time. When my friend’s printer finally kicked the bucket and started giving him the dreaded "Waste Ink Absorber Full" error, it was thought that although the error can be bypassed temporarily, the only long-term solution was to buy a used printer off of eBay.
After buying several printers off of eBay, he came to me and asked me to take a look into the problem. After spending much time researching the problem on the internet, I learned of how the printer could have its on board firmware reset using a program and decided to dissect the printer to see if there was a way to actually clean out the ink absorbers. The process is really quite easy if you’re comfortable taking things apart and know what you’re doing, but can be a real drag if you don’t know where the pads are located.
I’ve now taken apart, cleaned, and reset several of my friend’s old Pixmas and they work like new. Below are a couple of videos I made showing how to physically take apart an iP1500 and clean the ink absorbers as well as how to reset the printer’s "print-count" to zero, making it think that it’s brand-new.
Read MoreHow to Fix the Canon Pixma iP1500 “Waste Ink Absorber Full” Error.
Well, I’m a little late actually making it to this post, but the site was ready yesturday and I hope to keep this blog updated and build my website over time starting from 2009 onward.
I’ll pretty much be posting anything that I find interesting in my life or on the web, including past projects. The idea is that there is at least one other person out there that will find at least something I post interesting as I know I’ve come across blogs that have been helpful to special projects I have worked on.
Anyway, that’s all for now.